Pages

Thursday, October 17, 2019

International Day for the Eradication of Poverty

When I was asked to write this blog for October 17, the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty, I gasped. WOW! How will that happen? Didn't Jesus say, "The Poor you will have with you always?" The poverty I see in East St. Louis alone doesn't look as it it will end any time soon.

I have pondered this concept of no more poverty for days now. I have talked to many people who all gave me their thoughts. The following is where I've arrived.

The eradication of poverty is not going to be solved by fundraisers; it is not a money issue. Rather, it is a justice issue. An issue that is going to take work on the part of all of us. We read from the prophet Habbakuk, "Then the Lord answered me and said: 'Write down the vision clearly...for the vision still have its time, presses on to fulfillment, and will not disappoint.'"

And so, I set to writing at least part of my vision. My vision includes adequate housing for all people. especially those in East St. Louis with whom I work daily. My vision includes the children having enough food and a quality education. My vision includes mothers who can stop working that, whenever their sons leave the house, that it might be the last time they see them alive. My vision includes the people in Sub-Saharan Africa, the poorest of the poor, with all that they need to live a full life.

I think the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty is a very, very lofty goal. Habakkuk continues with the Lord's words, "If it delays, wait for it, for it will surely come. It will not be late." It is attainable.

We must remember, though, that while we wait, we work toward that end.

Written by Sister Margaret Mary Scally, D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment