Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

The Shoes You Choose

As I was preparing to enter the seminary, folks often asked me if I was nervous or excited, or what I found to be difficult or easy about the transition. Typically, I would tell people that the most difficult part of preparing for seminary was choosing the right pair of shoes. As materialistic as that might sound, it is the truth. I anguished over finding the perfect pair of shoes; the most functional, the most comfortable, the most durable, and just the right shade of navy blue. I would be wearing these shoes practically everyday and I wanted a pair that could walk in the park as well as genuflect at mass. The more I scrolled through websites of shoes on the internet, the more I realized that this obsessed was not about shoes at all.

Just as there are fifty million different pairs of shoes--different colors, styles, and purposes--there are fifty million ways to live out our vocation to love. With all the different communities out there, or even men to marry, how do I know that becoming a Daughter of Charity is the right fit? Luckily, I have been trying on this pair of shoes for about two years now and I have found that, though it might have taken a little time to get my feet comfortable in the shoes, this choice provides the best support and foundation for my walk with Christ.

Written by Sister Kara Davis, D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment