Pages

Friday, March 25, 2011

Ready to say "YES"


March 25th, the feast of the Annunciation to Our Lady who would become the Mother of God.  Would you have been so brave to say "yes" with so little information?  It would have been overwhelming had she known what she was getting into.  Yet, once she said "yes" she had all the graces she needed as she went along to meet the events in her life with faith and love.  She stayed close to God through all she "pondered in her heart".  She wasn't just going through the motions of being a good Jewish woman.  She opened her heart in love and trust to God not just at the Annunciation, but many times after that also.

Today, the Daughters of Charity around the world are renewing their annual simple vows.  At 5:30 tonight my local community will have Eucharist in our chapel where we will each renew our vows--poverty, chastity (really celibacy since we are all called to live chastely), obedience and service of those who live in poverty.  It is hard to believe that I am 18 years vocation!!  I made my annual vows for the first time in 1998, 13 years ago.  It is interesting how each year the "yes" is a little different.  Each year I am in a different "place" physically, spiritually or emotionally and so my "yes" reflects that too.

The picture above is from the crypt chapel in Chartres in France.  Each year the worldwide leader of the the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul makes a pilgrimage to Chartres in the footsteps of St. Louise de Marillac, our foundress, to dedicate the community to Blessed Mother.  Below is what St. Louise wrote to St. Vincent before and then after the pilgrimage.


"I beg you most humbly to allow me to make a pilgrimage to Chartres during your absence so that I may entrust all our needs and the suggestions I have made to you to the care of the Blessed Virgin. The time has surely come for me to reflect on myself in the sight of God. I must tell you that I am convinced that the good of our little Company requires it." Spiritual Writings of Louise de Marillac p.120
 
"On Monday, Feast of the Dedication of the Church of Chartres, I offered to God the designs of His Providence on the Company ofthe Daughters of Charity. I offered the said Company entirely to Him, asking Him to destroy it rather than let it be established contrary to His holy will. I asked for it, through the
prayers of the Holy Virgin, Mother and Guardian of the said Company, the purity of which it stands in need. Looking upon the Blessed Virgin as the fulfilhnellt of the promises of God to mankilld, and seeing the
fulfillment of the vow of the Blessed Virgin in the accomplishment of the mystery of the Incarnation, I asked Him for the grace of fidelity forthe Company through the merits of the Blood of the Son of God and of
Mary. I prayed also that He might be the strong and loving bond that unites the hearts of all the sisters in imitation of the union of the three Divine Persons." Spiritual Writings of Louise de Marillac p.122

I pray that as we celebrate this feast day and renew our vows that our hearts and therefore the "little company" may also be renewed in our serving Christ in those who live in poverty with humility, simplicity and charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment