Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Passing the Baton

As I was transitioning to the seminary, the Olympics were just getting started. I couldn't help but think of the 4 x 100 relays and passing the baton on to the next runner as a great analogy for my time of transition from postulancy to seminary. While I was packing up all of my belongings and reflecting on my wonderful year in Philadelphia, so too, was Kate packing her belongings. Kate was heading to Philadelphia to begin her own time as a pre-postulant.

For me, the baton is the passing on of the Vincentian tradition. It is the joy of finding your place in this world, where the world's deep hunger and your happiness meet.

Transitions are not always easy. There is excitement and an uneasy feeling, but knowing that the baton was passed to me and now I get to pass it on makes the transition time smoother. I know others who have walked the same path. I am grateful for my time as a pre-postulant and postulant and all of the Daughters who have passed on the baton and entrusted me with such a long-lasting and beautiful tradition. Just as Vincent and Louise passed the baton on to the first Confreres and Daughters, so too, I hope to cultivate the Vincentian tradition everyday and pass along the baton.

Written by Sister Michelle Hoffman, D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment